If you are looking for an easy holiday craft to entertain the kids or a fun and creative way to teach the phases of the moon then give this easy moon craft activity a go!
I use it to teach the phases of the moon alongside my Children's picture book: Luna Lucy.
DIY puff paint made with just 3 ingredients: Self Raising Flour, Salt, Water and the use of a microwave. How easy is that! You can add food colouring to get even more creative with this puff paint if you want to.
1. Draw or trace a circle on white paper.
2. Mix double the quantity of Self Raising Flour to Salt with some water to make a pancake consistency mixture. EG. 2 Tbspns SR flour, 1 Tbspn Salt with some water.
3. Place the sheet of paper with the circle on a microwavable plate and spread mixture inside the circle using a spoon or paint brush. If the mixture is uneven it won't really matter as it will create moon surface texture when it puffs up in the microwave.
4. Microwave for 45-60 seconds depending on how thick the mixture has been spread. The mixture will puff up looking like moon craters.
5. Allow to cool for a few minutes and then using scissors, cut out the desired moon shape; full moon, half moon, crescent moon.
6. Glue onto black card or night sky decorated/painted paper as the background. As the baked mixture is quite heavy I advise using PVA glue for this process. Allow to dry.
An easy, educational craft activity that both children and adults will enjoy.